Brain exercises can certainly help you keep the one of the most important muscles in your body in shape! Learn which ones are most beneficial!
Exercise is healthy for the body, but did you know that it is also healthy for the brain? It helps improve cognitive processes and strengthens it against neurodegenerative diseases.
And you … how do you keep your brain in shape? In our articles we talk to you very often about the need to increase your cognitive capacity, to be curious, to learn new things every day and to strengthen your social relationships.
The brain is like a muscle that needs stimuli every day to create new neural connections. Factors such as stress, routine or negative emotions hinder this connectivity, to the point of reducing the agility and health of many of our brain structures.
Now, in addition to learning new things every day and attending to our emotional world, the brain needs a continuous supply of oxygen and nutrients that can optimize each of its tasks.
This can be achieved through physical brain exercises, but it is not just any kind of sport. We talk about those exercises that, in addition, have the virtue of working our emotional world, of giving us a pleasant feeling of freedom and making us happy.
Brain exercises – Which are the most beneficial?
According to a study carried out at the University of Illinois and the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, in the United States, people who do moderate exercise on a regular basis, have a greater brain volume.
This translates, for example, into a better ability to deal with possible neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s dementia. This is something that, without a doubt, interests us all and that we could achieve in the following way.
In our space we have talked to you on more than one occasion about the many benefits of going for a walk every day for at least half an hour.
It is a wonderful way to start our heart, to increase the level of endorphins and to oxygenate the brain. Furthermore, thanks to this walk we release tensions and relativize many of those daily problems.
Now, if possible, do not hesitate to carry small weights to exercise your arms from time to time.
According to a work published in the Newscientist magazine, practicing aerobic exercises where resistance is also worked promotes the functionality of our cognitive processes.
It is, without a doubt, an interesting topic and one that is worth putting into practice. Without committing excesses, yes, it is only about doing a moderate exercise but being constant every day. Half an hour of walking is enough.
The great benefits of dancing
Have you signed up for Zumba classes? Then don’t quit. However, if currently the subject of dance does not go too much with you or it causes you some embarrassment, do not hesitate to do it at home and let yourself go. Or, to follow one of those motivational videos where they teach us to dance and, above all , to coordinate.
- Experts tell us that dancing helps us develop proprioception. This is nothing more than becoming aware of where the parts of our body are located.
- Thanks to dancing and the coordination of certain steps, it is possible for us to activate receptors located in our muscles called neuromuscular spindles. These, in turn, communicate with the brain.
- All this helps us to generate a fabulous harmony between mind and body. We generate new neural connections, take care of our emotions and get a good injection of energy and happiness.
Exercises in the water
When it comes to exercise carried out in an aquatic environment, we are not just referring to swimming.
- Performing certain movements in the water is a game and it is a training. Not only will we burn calories, but we will also work on coordination and endurance. These are the two key activities that are so suitable to also benefit our brain.
- Physiotherapists tell us that to get the most out of the exercises in the water it is necessary to perform repetitive series of several minutes.
You can do leg raises, rotations in the water, work with balls and boards. You can even imitate the movements of pedaling on a bicycle. If you also accompany it with good music and pleasant company in the pool, all this will have a positive impact on your physical health.
Don’t forget to SHARE everything you know about brain exercises with your friends and family on your social networks!