Heel spur exercises can be quite beneficial if you’re suffering from this unfortunate condition. Learn a few of them and perform them at home!
Since the pain of the calcaneal spur can be very acute, if it extends over time despite practicing these exercises it is advisable that we go to the doctor.
The calcaneal spur is a bony protrusion that forms in the heel bone. This can cause discomfort when walking or doing other activities.
The stabbing pain is felt on the inside and bottom of the foot and manifests itself most intensely in the morning.
It is a pain that disappears with rest and returns when you resume activity. It can also cause limited dorsiflexion of the ankle.
Fortunately, there are stretching exercises for heel spurs that are very helpful in relieving pain and helping speed healing. If after a few days it still hurts a lot, it is necessary that we go to the doctor as soon as possible.
Causes of heel spur
According to studies this study carried out by the University of Orleans (France), this pathology is suffered by one in four people. Some of the causes for which it may appear are the following:
- Age: it can be a trigger but it is not the only one.
- Overweight: obese people who spend many hours standing may be more prone to this problem.
- High-impact exercises: can sometimes cause this pain.
- Flat foot: it can be a risk to develop this pathology, as well as a poorly elastic Achilles tendon.
- Inappropriate footwear: the use of shoes with thin soles or heels (especially thin and high) can cause their appearance.
Recommended heel spur exercises
This exercise is the best way to deal with this problem. To carry it out correctly, it is necessary to follow the steps detailed below:
It will be enough to place a towel on the floor and try to grab it and bring it closer to us with the help of your toes.
We can add some weight on top to exert more resistance.
Exercise with tape
This exercise is a good alternative for the heel spur problem, but also for other alterations that may appear on the foot.
Make sure you sit, with your back straight and your legs stretched out in front of you, on the floor.
Place a ribbon on the sole of the foot and grasp one end with each hand.
Next, you should pull towards yourself with your arms, while with your foot you push to the opposite side.
Hold the same pose for about 20 seconds.
Perform sets of 25 reps, 2 to 3 times a day.
Ball exercise on the sole of the foot
This exercise consists of rolling a small ball with the sole of the foot. It is beneficial for this pathology and also for plantar fasciitis.
Slide your foot over the ball. In this way we will get a massage that will relax the sole of the foot.
To complete the exercise, press the ball, from the balls of your feet to the heel.
Roll a water bottle
In this case we will need to fill a bottle of water and freeze it. Then, do the following:
We will lay the bottle on the ground, cover it with a towel and step on it. Then, perform a rotation movement on the sole of the foot, which must last at least 5 minutes.
We will do this about 3 times a day.
This stretching exercise will help us to mitigate the pain. Also, the cold will act as a type of local anesthesia.
It is a very simple exercise where you only have to support your hands on a table or wall and flex one leg while stretching the other.
You should lean forward, as if you wanted to move the table, to stretch the calf muscles of the leg that is stretched out. Hold the position for 10-15 seconds.
Tips for relieving heel spur pain
- Reduce sports activity as much as possible and try to rest as long as possible.
- Wearing appropriate footwear is essential to reduce heel inflammation and reduce pain, as well as to avoid injuries, according to this research carried out by the Las Condes Clinic (Chile). The recommended thing would be a padded footwear, with a flexible sole and a raised heel to fix correctly to the foot.
- Use insoles or pads to cushion the blows when walking.
- Apply ice or cold compresses three times a day for 15 minutes, it helps a lot to relieve pain.
- It is recommended that you start a diet to lose a few kilos if you are overweight.
Remember that being overweight is one of the main causes of the appearance of spurs. Not only will it help reduce symptoms, but it will also improve your overall health.
This article is informative. If you perform any exercise to improve the calcaneal spur and your discomfort continues, it is recommended that you visit a doctor to make a diagnosis according to your problem and offer you a personalized treatment.
Don’t forget to SHARE these heel spur exercises with your friends and family on your social networks!